Rigorous governance, empathy with organisational aims, support to the board as a team, ideas and connections, ambassadorship.
- Chair of In2scienceUK
- Independent Non-Executive Member, Joint Audit Committee for Hertfordshire Police and the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner.
- Successful experience of being a non-exec since 1998
- Chair of Society Works ltd (significant growth of trading company) and Trustee of its parent charity mySociety
- Independent Chair of the Improvement Board for Local Councils, coordinating the activities of multiple stakeholders in the sector
- A large commercially innovative college (CityLit) for which I chaired the Audit Committee, and then the Finance and Commercial Committee.
- A BBSRC Research Institute (Rothamsted Research) for which I chaired the Audit Committee
- A high growth community charity
- A turnaround job on a small arts charity as Treasurer then Chair
- Independent chair of the multi-stakeholder improvement and development board for local councils
- Understand commercial disciplines (Senior roles in NatWest, Veredus and Capita)
- Experience: OD, HR, Search, Finance, Audit & Risk
- Know how the public sector works, especially local public services
- Deeply “get” the difference between non-exec and exec roles, the importance and the tools of board governance.
Areas of interest:
- Commercial organisations engaging with public sector/local government
- Social enterprises or public-sector spin outs who need someone who can bring commercial rigour but “get” the public sector history
- Public sector organisations that require professional non-exec input (eg NHS Trusts, Housing Associations, NDPBs, Agencies) especially where the unusual breadth of my experiences is useful.
- Programme boards, audit committees or other governance boards that would benefit from independent external perspective.